- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Sparrow Lane Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, medium thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons calvados or apple juice
- 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled seeded and cubed (approx. 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 apples, not too tart, peeled, cored sliced (about 2 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot, add onions, salt and white pepper. Sauté over medium heat, until start to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Add little stock scrape pan, add 2 T of Calvados and cook until pan is dry, 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add squash and 1 T salt to the onions. Add just enough stock to cover the squash. Cover the pot and cook at medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes until the squash is soft. Puree the soup in in blender, return to the pot and cook on low for 30 minutes
- While the soup is cooking, melt butter in medium sauté pan add apples. Sauté over medium high heat stirring to coat with butter. Once they are heated add remaining Calvados and cook until almost dry. Add apple juice and cover on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until soft, uncover for 8 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Stir in half the apples into the soup, save rest for serving. Season soup to taste, add apples and crème fraiche to each.